Friday, January 18, 2013

Kal: 35 Years of Cartoons in The Economist

From Kickstarter.




Daggers Drawn: 35 years of editorial cartoons and covers from The Economist by the award winning artist Kevin KAL Kallaugher
Launched: Jan 14, 2013
Funding ends: Feb 13, 2013

I am excited to announce that in April 2013, I will be celebrating my 35th anniversary as cartoonist for The Economist. To mark the occasion, I want to publish a large retrospective collection of my cartoons and covers from the magazine titled Daggers Drawn.
It is my dream to create a high quality coffee table book to mark my 35th anniversary. I alone do not have the resources to make this happen, that is why I am turning to you.


Prints and original artwork from The Economist are available to supporters as rewards
Prints and original artwork from The Economist are available to supporters as rewards
Here are the specifics...
Though I have had a long and colorful career with The Economist, I have always been a free lance contributor to the publication. I do, however, retain the copyright and ownership to all the art I have created for the magazine. 
This enables me to publish collections of my cartoons. However, I need to raise money to finance my book projects.
I have published other books, but this will be my first book since 1988 made exclusively of cartoons from The Economist.
And this book project promises to be my best yet! 
I will be picking my favorites from over 4000 cartoons and 140 covers I have drawn for the magazine and include some fun stories and insights to my special time there.


With the help of fans and supporters, I am hoping to raise the funds to create a top quality book. The more support we can rally, the better quality the book can be. 
We have some great rewards for Daggers Drawn supporters. Click the links here to view the Black and White printsColor cover printsOriginal cartoons, and Original Cover artwork that will be available as rewards. 


This is a sample of an 8 x 10 format
This is a sample of an 8 x 10 format
The book is currently planned to be 8 x10 with 32 pages of color with a print run of 5000. 
My real dream is to print a book with the much more impressive and desirable dimensions of 11 x 10 inches. If we go beyond our goal of $20,000 that will be possible.


With an 11 x 10 format we can include more artwork in the book

With an 11 x 10 format we can include more artwork in the book
If we can achieve our reach goal of $30,000 we will add more color pages, improve the paper quality and create a special limited edition for the Kickstarter supporters. This edition will have a hard case for the book with specially designed artwork. 
I have a top quality designer and printer lined up should we fund the project. Plus, my friends at Boordy Vineyards in Maryland have offered to host a book launch party. So let's go!
I hope you will join the Kal team for this special project!


RISKS AND CHALLENGESLearn about accountability on Kickstarter

Having self published books in the past, I am aware of its challenges. Fortunately I feel well prepared for the task at hand. I have an excellent designer and printer ready to join me if we get funded. The rest is up to me to choose and assemble the cartoons (many already scanned and ready to go), write the essays, create cover art, and stick to a production schedule. Occasionally, productions deadline may slip, but for this project I am determined not to let that happen. I want to have this book ready by early April as it is the 35th anniversary of my start at The Economist.

No comments:

Post a Comment